**NOTE: The news clips and articles listed don’t necessarily reflect the views or beliefs of the Cleveland Cavaliers or their Basketball Operations staff, partners, or sponsors.**
John Beilein recruited Cleveland long before the Cavaliers called him
Author: Matt Goul
CLEVELAND, Ohio — John Beilein’s brushes with Northeast Ohio came well before growing interest in the last month between him and the Cavaliers.
Even long after he recruited Cavs assistant general manager Mike Gansey to West Virginia, following a transfer from St. Bonaventure in 2003, Beilein kept his sights on this area.
He sought Medina’s 7-foot-1 Jon Teske for his squad at Michigan. Brothers Larry Nance Jr. and Pete Nance at Revere also were on his radar. Beilein will finally get to coach Larry Jr. in Cleveland, and Teske could follow him to the league in a year.
In 2014, as Beilein and his Michigan coaches recruited Teske, Medina coach Chris Hassinger took an opportunity to learn Beilein’s system. As a result, he installed Michigan’s offense for Teske’s final two years of high school.
Hassinger has an idea of what to expect once Beilein settles in Cleveland.
– CLICK HERE to read full story.
It started at a wedding: How Cleveland Cavaliers came to hire John Beilein
Author: Terry Pluto
CLEVELAND, Ohio — It was 4 1/2 years ago that Mike Gansey and Amy Thome were married.
At the time, Gansey was a young guy in the Cavaliers front office. So was Koby Altman.
This was in 2014 when LeBron James had returned to the Cavs.
David Griffin was the general manager. Altman was one of two assistants to Griffin. The other was Trent Redden, who also was ahead of Altman on the front office depth chart.
He was “Director of Development League Operations/Basketball Operations Assistant,” according to the Cavs 2014-15 media guide. Gansey and Altman had both been hired by former Cavs GM Chris Grant in 2012. – CLICK HERE to read full story.
Cleveland Cavaliers looking at J.B. Bickerstaff as one possibility for John Beilein’s top assistant, sources say
Author: Chris Fedor
CLEVELAND, Ohio — With John Beilein as new head coach, the Cleveland Cavaliers have started the process of looking at candidates to fill out his staff. According to sources who spoke with cleveland.com, ex-Memphis Grizzlies head coach J.B. Bickerstaff is one possibility and Bickerstaff is expected to discuss that opportunity with Beilein in the near future.
The Cavs — and Beilein — are seeking an experienced lead assistant to help make the transition from college to the pros as smooth as possible. Bickerstaff being out of a job makes it a bit easier than trying to pry away an assistant currently under contract with another NBA team.
Bickerstaff, who is coveted by many franchises around the league, was a casualty of Memphis’ front office shakeup following the 2018-19 season. Despite guiding the Grizzlies through an injury-plagued season, forced to use an NBA-record 28 players and finishing stronger than expected with 33 wins, widespread changes forced Bickerstaff out. It also led to the demotion of general manager Chris Wallace.
After spending more than 10 years as an assistant with Charlotte, Minnesota and Houston, Bickerstaff was named interim head coach with the Rockets before moving on to Memphis as an associate for the 2016-17 campaign. In three seasons as an NBA head coach (one with Houston and two in Memphis), Bickerstaff compiled a record of 85-131, including a 1-4 mark in the playoffs.
– CLICK HERE to read full story.
More Daily Press Links:
- (5/14) Cleveland Cavaliers, unsurprisingly, take big swing with John Beilein hiring Cleveland.com
- (5/14) Cleveland Cavaliers’ stunning hire of John Beilein as coach might work Cleveland.com
- (5/14) John Beilein is a smart choice for the rebuilding Cavs after rebuilding Michigan basketball Cleveland.com
- (5/14) Cavaliers hire John Beilein: A career timeline from coaching in high school to his jump to the NBA Cleveland.com
- (5/14) Cavs Get Their Man Cavs.com
- (5/14) Cavaliers agree to hire Michigan’s John Beilein as coach Akron Beacon Journal
- (5/14) Cavaliers’ young, moldable roster makes bold hire of John Beilein plausible Akron Beacon Journal
- (5/14) Cavaliers hope to win lottery for sixth time News-Herald
- (5/14) Cavaliers hoping their draft lottery luck continues Medina Gazette
- (5/14) There are reasons to be skeptical, but John Beilein hiring appears to be a smart move by Cavs Crain’s Cleveland
- (5/14) Cavs make it official: John Beilein is their head coach 92.3 The Fan
- (5/14) Cavs hire Michigan’s Beilein as head coach Toledo Blade
- (5/14) With lottery looming, Cavaliers staying on guard Amico Hoops
- (5/14) Beilein’s share-the-wealth philosophy is what Cavs sought Amico Hoops
- (5/14) Leap of faith: Cavs sign Michigan’s John Beilein to 5-year deal (UPDATED) The Associated Press
- (5/14) What Cleveland is getting in John Beilein The Athletic
- (5/14) Cavaliers shocked everyone by hiring John Beilein. Here’s how it happened The Athletic
- (5/14) Understanding John Beilein’s departure and what it means for Michigan The Athletic
- (5/14) Lloyd: It took nearly a decade, but Dan Gilbert finally got a Michigan man The Athletic
- (5/14) O’Neil: John Beilein’s departure a dark day for the sport The Athletic
- (5/14) Beilein leaving Michigan to coach Cavaliers ESPN.com
- (5/14) John Beilein reaches deal to become Cleveland Cavaliers head coach, thanks Michigan after 12-year run CBS Sports
- (5/14) John Beilein’s NBA jump a blow for college hoops, but don’t blame him for living in moment Sporting News
- (5/14) Cavaliers’ John Beilein oldest first-time non-interim NBA coach ever NBC Sports
- (5/14) Michigan basketball’s John Beilein leaving to coach NBA’s Cleveland Detroit Free Press
- (5/14) John Beilein leaving Michigan feels like a stunner. But it shouldn’t Detroit Free Press
- (5/14) Michigan basketball coach John Beilein to take Cleveland Cavaliers job Detroit News
- (5/14) John Beilein leaving Michigan to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers Washington Post
- (5/14) Opinion: John Beilein’s NBA move not a huge surprise, but is big loss to college basketball USA Today
- (5/14) Cavs make bold move hiring John Beilein with chance at Zion Williamson looming Yahoo
- (5/14) How John Beilein’s Michigan draft picks have fared in NBA Yahoo
- (5/14) Here’s what John Beilein gets on the Cavaliers roster Detroit News
- (5/14) John Beilein evolved into a Michigan legend, but the puzzle never ends Detroit Free Press
- (5/14) ‘Good move’: John Beilein will be a success in the NBA, analysts say Detroit News
- (5/14) ‘Perfect fit’: Michigan basketball coach John Beilein to take Cleveland Cavaliers job Detroit News
- (5/14) The Cleveland Cavaliers Made The Perfect Move Hiring John Beilein For Their Next Head Coach Forbes